Wednesday, June 6, 2007

First Post - Fresh Air Poster & Business Card

In an effort to generate some good feedback to my works in progress I've decided to create this blog.

Fresh Air, Environmental Poster

One off my latest projects has been a poster warning against the alternatives to taking care of good 'ole Mother Earth. Maybe this will help me get jobs in this climate of hyper environmentalism?

As you can see I've been heavily influenced by the dry brushed backgrounds and geometry of 60's era cartoons. The colors have reproduced poorly on the web but such is the digital life of print design. Also sadly lacking in online form is the impact this piece will have at full size.

Speaking of print, I intend to print this on newsprint then rescan in the printed object to optically enlarge it to a size of 24"x34". Hopefully this will give it a good organic feel that digital imitations of traditional media almost always lack.

Business Card
To those of you who may not know me I'll go ahead and throw in another special treat for you; my business card. And yes I am aware of the amount of historicism finding its way into my work lately. Note: the URL on the card is yet to be active but should be working towards the end of summer. The card features my visage gracing a painting of an admiral by David and the beautiful Didot, a typeface contemporary to the time of the painting and like the painting is French. Didot is appropriate in character for the pomposity and grandiosity of the front image as its elegant form and extreme contrasts in stroke convey the over-the-top feeling I was going for.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Graham, this is possibly the greatest thing I have ever seen.... ever.